10 Ayurvedic Rituals to Brighten Your Day , 3 Comments
Ayurveda is a complete way of life. It is an ancient holistic health system from India that has been practiced for more than 5,000 years. The basis of Ayurveda is to treat the root cause of disease rather than just the symptoms. It is prevention oriented and free from any harmful side-effects. Ayurveda believes your morning ritual is the most important part of your day. The way you start your day is as important at what you eat. A slow steady path to health and wellness is achieved through daily routine and is essential for lasting change.
By adopting these simple rituals you can renew your mind and body every morning to brighten up your day, everyday! Instead of waking up and rushing out of the house in a stressed state, take some time to nourish and stimulate your mind and body by performing the following eight rituals. By following one or more of these rituals daily for at least a month you will experience radical change. Don’t be surprised when you view every morning in a new light!
Print this list out and post it in your bathroom or refrigerator until these rituals become second nature.
1. Rise and shine!
Waking up with the sunrise is ideal, for the reason that you are exposed to special energy in the air. For people who need a little more rest, try not to get out of bed too quickly. Take a moment to bring a sense of awareness to your mind, body, and connection to gratitude.
2. Eliminate. Upon waking go straight to the toilet to empty your bladder and bowels then blow your nose. This will jump start your digestion, eliminate toxins that have built up overnight, and cleanse your nasal pathways. Washing the face, mouth and teeth After waking splash your face with cool water 7 times.
3. Take a sip of cool water, swish it around your mouth and spit it out when it becomes lukewarm. Repeat 2-3 times.
4. Next massage your gums with sesame or coconut oil. If you need to kill time, swish the oil around your mouth for a few minutes, spit it out and rinse with water. This prevents bad breath, gum disease, and helps us maintain strong healthy teeth. Don’t forget to brush your teeth!
5. Scrape your tongue The tongue mirrors your intestines. If you wake up with a thick coating it means you have a build up of toxins in your system. You can buy a tongue scraper or use a silver spoon and scrape from back to front about 10 times. By doing this you are making sure these toxins are not reabsorbed back into the body.
6. Stretch & get your body moving Stretch for at least 10 minutes. Other options include yoga and inversions (my favorite).
7. Body Love. Dry brushing is an invigorating way to begin the day because it rejuvenates, revitalizes, and detoxifies all at once! Brush your body starting at the feet working your way up. Use long motions always towards the heart. This ritual supports skin renewal, helps remove toxins and stimulates the lymphatic system (one of the most important systems in our body). Stimulate your digestion
8. Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon into 1 cup - 1 liter of water and drink while getting ready.
9. After that, make some tea. Ginger, green and rooibos are great options. Caffeine free is always ideal. Allow some time to soak up the tea before moving on to breakfast.
10. Mindful break-fast Breakfast really means breaking-the-fast. Its wise to find a light breakfast option that doesn’t shock your digestive system. Remember to be mindful while you eat. Stay away from the TV, any other electronics, the newspaper etc. This is the best time to be present and really savor and appreciate your nourishing food.
Have a beautiful day!