Pickled Onions, An Easy Fermented Appetizer , 0 Comments
Fermented foods can be incredibly beneficial for your gut (we'll be doing an article all about them soon, so stay tuned!), but introducing nibbles you don't usually munch on into your diet is easier said than done. The solution? A simple, overnight recipe for pickled onions that can be served in any way your taste buds desire!
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 red onions, peeled
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons agave
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 3 black peppercorns
- Slice your onions, according to your preference. I like to use a mandoline for this step, as it gives me uniform, paper-thin slices to work with.
- Combine all the wet ingredients, plus the salt, in a glass bowl. Whisk together just long enough for the salt to dissolve and be incorporated, then add the onion slices and gently knead to encourage the absorption of the brine.
- Transfer your mixture to a glass jar, top with peppercorns, and seal! Let it marinate overnight, and pop it into the refrigerator to chill before serving your pretty, pink aperitif!
These delectable morsels can be served in a myriad different ways (let your palate be your guide), so have fun and get creative! No matter what, the vibrant color of these little pickled beauties is sure to impress your guests.
- Maria Vasylivna